Nose pressed to glass

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Locked out for a month and boy is my nose sore

Some time away from the line has done me a world of good. I know it's not an option but for many but, if you can swing it, it will restore some of your soul and put some pep back in your step.

In my last post, I missed the boat (tragic pun) while taking a run at Tony Burman. I wondered how he feels about locking out his team but neglected to mention the then-unfolding Katrina catastrophe.

It's old news now, and there's nothing I can add to the sad spectacle (for the people, of course, but also for CBC) but I have to think Burman's molars are ground down to white chalky wafers. Or maybe he doesn't care as much as we think?

Say something Tony - let us know what you're thinking. Write a piece for the Globe or even the lame-o management website. Can you at least admit the damage being done to the franchise? CTV has tried to poach you -- you're a big man, a big journalist. Act like it. Speak up.

Red Badger, a management type, responded to my last post with some interesting comments. He/she is smarter than the average member of Our Friends Inside because they called my blog excellent.

They took issue with my observation, though, that the people who preach the beauty of contracts are often in staff jobs. RB says I'm wrong and that 90 % of CBC managers are on contract. My first thought was the most of the managers I know are staff but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

My second thought was that RB's figure is probably like management's '5% of CBC workers are on contract' stat -- technically true if you go by CBC's weird definitions but in reality misleading and unhelpful. These 'long-term contracts' that RB speaks of sound a lot different than what management is proposing for us workers now.

And RB doesn't say why this rugged individualist philosophy is so right for CBC but apparently unnecessary for the private-sector broadcasters, who should logically be less bureaucratic and more performance-driven.

If anybody knows where the truth lies, I'd be interested to hear it.

Finally, a little picket-line observation. Once in a while, on the east side of the Toronto building, somebody pushes a button so CBC Radio comes out of a loudspeaker. I wonder if management is testing some kind of mental morale-busting trick.

But, like most things in this dispute, the workers have done them one better with fewer resources and a little ingenuity. There's a ruddy-faced guy on the west side of the building who often sets up a ghetto blaster and plays music - usually old-time rock and roll.

He smiles at the passing picketers and snaps his fingers and generally looks like he's having the time of his life. Standing a few feet away are the rent-a-cops, usually in their early 20s. They wince as if this never-ending old crap music is boring into their brains like a rusty jackhammer.

The beautiful part is that the guy often cranks it so loud that the sound is distorted and it's painful to hear, no matter what the song. I can just walk on by but the hang-dog look on those security guards' faces, and the ear-to-ear grin on the music man's, make my day.

Keep your spirits up, my friends. Soon we'll be inflicting radio on others in the way that it was meant to be.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger ------ said...

The old, blasting oldies boombox trick....worked on Noriega

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Aigle De Nuit said...

Hi Glass, welcome back.

The Gentleman's name is Steve (won't use last name). When it was known to the guards that he was going to be the "field promoted picket captain" for Saturday morining...they were wincing in anticipation :)

Wish I could have lent him the Batman CD, but I don't want to lose it.

Aigle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home